In the world of traditional Indian jewellery, Kundan and Polki jewellery have been revered for their timeless beauty and cultural significance. These exquisite pieces are not just ornaments but also hold a piece of history within them. If you’re in search of the best Kundan jewellery store in Melbourne, “Jewels of Punjab” is the place to explore these treasures.
Kundan Jewelry: A Glimpse of Opulence
Kundan jewellery is renowned for its opulence and intricate craftsmanship. The word “Kundan” itself means “highly refined gold.” This jewellery style originated in the royal courts of Rajasthan and Gujarat during the Mughal era. It is characterized by its use of highly refined gold, gemstones, and glass or polkis (uncut diamonds).
- Materials Used: Kundan jewellery is crafted using gold foils, which are hammered to create a delicate, lacy framework. This framework is then filled with colourful gemstones, usually set with lac (a natural resin). These gemstones can include emeralds, rubies, sapphires, and pearls, creating a vibrant and luxurious look.
- Setting Technique: The setting of gemstones in Kundan jewellery is done using a technique called “Kundan setting.” Here, the gemstones are set into the frame with a gold foil, creating a stunning contrast and allowing the gemstones to shine brilliantly.
- Intricate Designs: Kundan jewellery is known for its intricate and elaborate designs. The craftsmanship involved in creating Kundan pieces is truly remarkable, with skilled artisans painstakingly working on each piece to bring out its unique beauty.
- Versatile Usage: Kundan jewellery is often favoured for special occasions like weddings and festivals due to its grandeur. However, modern designs have made it more versatile, allowing it to be worn with both traditional and contemporary outfits.
Polki Jewelry: The Art of Unrefined Diamonds
Polki jewellery is equally mesmerizing but is distinct from Kundan in several ways. The term “Polki” refers to uncut diamonds, and this jewellery style is cherished for its unadulterated, raw beauty.
- Materials Used: The primary feature of Polki jewellery is the use of uncut diamonds set in either gold or silver. Unlike Kundan, Polki jewellery doesn’t employ refined gold foils; instead, it uses a more rustic, textured setting.
- Setting Technique: Polki diamonds are set in a manner that allows maximum light to enter, enhancing their natural sparkle. This setting technique often uses intricate meenakari (enamelwork) on the reverse side of the piece, adding to its uniqueness.
- Organic and Imperfect: One of the defining characteristics of Polki jewellery is its imperfections. These uncut diamonds retain their natural form, which means that each piece is unique, with its own quirks and inclusions. This imperfection is what gives Polki jewellery its charm and character.
- Elegance with a Vintage Touch: Polki jewellery exudes a vintage charm and is often favoured by those who appreciate a more organic and rustic look. It pairs beautifully with traditional Indian attire and can also be worn to add a touch of elegance to contemporary outfits.
Key Differences Between Kundan and Polki Jewelry
- Materials: Kundan jewellery uses highly refined gold and colourful gemstones set with lac, while Polki jewellery features uncut diamonds set in gold or silver with meenakari work.
- Craftsmanship: Kundan jewellery is known for its meticulous Kundan setting and intricate designs, while Polki jewellery embraces the raw beauty of uncut diamonds with a focus on imperfections.
- Occasions: Kundan jewellery is often associated with grand occasions like weddings, while Polki jewellery is favoured for its vintage appeal and can be worn on various occasions.
Why Choose “Jewels of Punjab” for Kundan and Polki Jewelry in Melbourne?
If you’re seeking the best Kundan jewellery store in Melbourne, “Jewels of Punjab” offers a curated selection of both Kundan and Polki jewellery. Our collection celebrates the rich heritage and craftsmanship of these exquisite jewellery styles, making it a perfect destination for jewellery enthusiasts.
Our skilled artisans painstakingly craft each piece, ensuring that it embodies the essence of Kundan or Polki jewellery. Whether you’re looking for a dazzling Kundan set for your wedding or a unique Polki pendant to complement your style, “Jewels of Punjab” has something to offer for every jewellery connoisseur.
Kundan and Polki jewellery, with their distinct characteristics and historical significance, are truly treasures to behold. While Kundan dazzles with its intricate designs and colourful gemstones, Polki captures hearts with its organic, imperfect beauty. If you’re in Melbourne and searching for the finest Kundan and Polki jewellery, look no further than “Jewels of Punjab.” Explore the world of opulence and elegance that these jewellery styles have to offer, and find the perfect piece to adorn yourself for any occasion.